Organization Hierarchy: What does that mean?
Ok. You have organizational hierarchies. Who reports to whom. Some people call them parent - child relationships. Often it goes something like this:
- Departmental Offices (child) report to Departments (parent)
- Departments (child) report to Colleges (parent)
- Colleges (child) report to Academic VP Office (parent)
These organization hierarchies run from simple to complex and branch in a myriad of ways. Take a moment to look at some examples of organizational hierarchies:
Example of Organizational Hierarchies
University of California at San Diego is a thriving, complex eco-system.
We often think of Universities in terms of how we experience a campus. For example, UCSD has 6 Undergraduate Colleges:
- Thurgood Marshall College (Scholarship and Citizenship)
- John Muir College (Individual Choice)
- Revelle College (Arts, Sciences and Humanities)
- Eleanor Roosevelt College (World Citizenship and Leadership)
- Sixth College (Innovation)
- Warren College (Ethical Scholarship and Citizenship)
These colleges help students to focus. Students will then take classes from a number of schools/departments across campus to achieve their goals: Humanities or Fine Arts or Biology Departments, etc. These academic areas all have organizational hierarchies to govern and administrate their various duties and stewardships.
Beyond this student/faculty experience. The University runs its administrative duties.
They can represent their organizational structure at a high level overview and then drill down to the more local, complex view. Look through these few examples of various ways this university has organized itself.
- Office of the President Org Chart
- Academic Affairs Org Chart
- Student Affairs Org Chart
- Research Org Chart
- Financial Services Org Chart
- Graduate Studies Org Chart
Drilling down on all these high level charts, you will then find more detailed organizational charts from the individual departments, offices, and centers across campus.
(Hint: Kuali Build's Groups Service can help you set up your hierarchies to run in your forms and workflows - automating your processes, streamlining your life.)