To add a Field Element or Field to the form, click on the field in the left panel and drag it and place into the middle panel. You can then configure the field in the Configuration Panel on the right side of the screen.
Although all Form Builder Fields perform different functions and have unique settings, many of their initial field queries are the same. This guide will review some of the most common field settings.
What settings are available in the Configuration Panel?
Once a field has been added to your form, the Configuration Panel opens automatically. On most fields a few settings appear:
- Field Label: This is the name of the field that will appear on the form. It also refers to the label the system references for the field in all reporting, workflows, and integrations. The Field Preview box in the center panel will show you how the Field Label looks. You can even type an answer in the Field Preview to see how an answer renders in this field.
- This field is required: Enabling this setting will require the user to respond to this field before they can submit the form.
- Placeholder: This setting is not included on all fields, but it does appear on many. The information listed here will prompt the user to take the action you specify. It can also provide users with example text they can view when they go to complete a field entry. This can be particularly helpful for complicated processes users may not be as familiar with as it can provide them with a helpful starting point as they go to complete the form. For example, something like "Start Typing" is a good indication of what the user should do. In this screenshot the user is instructed to start typing their New Department name. As they begin typing a dropdown list of departments to choose from will appear.
What Advanced Settings are available in the Configuration Panel?
Initially, several settings are hidden when the Configuration Panel is opened. You can view the additional settings by clicking on Show Advanced Settings. Here are some of the most common Advanced Settings:
- Show Field Label on Form: You can choose which information will show in the rendered form by checking or un-checking the "Show field label on form" checkbox available throughout the Form Editor.
- Field Long Label: This setting allows you to include additional information or instructions for a particular field. You also have the option to Show Field Long Label on Form or to keep the notes private from the form users.
- Field Help: This is another area where you can include additional information or instructions about a particular field. You have the option to Display inline in form, or if you uncheck that box, a small question mark will appear that the user can hover over for more information.
- Conditional Visibility: This field allows you to show and hide one part (a field) of a form based on selections made in another part of the form. See How Do I Conditionally Show and Hide Parts of the Form? (Conditional Visibility).
- Remove Gadget: This option allows you to remove the field from the form all together.