- How do I create a new workflow?
How Do I Create a New Workflow?
In Kuali Build, creating a new Form in your App will automatically launch a new Workflow.
What steps can be added to a Workflow?
- Approval - approval or rejection of a course, program, form, etc. Approvals typically pause all other steps in a workflow until a decision has beed made.
- Acknowledge - allows a user or role to acknowledge a form's submission. Unlike an approval, an acknowledgement does not pause the workflow until the submission has been reviewed. The workflow process will continue on with any subsequent steps.
- Notification - a configurable email sent to a selected user
- Branch - proposal routing based off conditions from the form
- Integration - allows you to select from a list of pre-configured integrations if any were created during implementation.
What is an Acknowledge Step? How do I create one?
When an Acknowledge Step is created, the selected individual(s) will receive an email notifying them of an action taken on the form and that they will need to acknowledge that action. Progress in the workflow is not contingent, however, on an acknowledger taking action.
- Click on the Acknowledge step from the top left side of the Workflow screen.
- Drag and drop the step in the desired location.
- Determine the settings for the step in the configuration panel that pops up on the right side of the screen.
- Your workflow step will save automatically by Kuali Build. No need to click a Save button.
What is Step Label?
By default the Acknowledge Step you just created is called "Acknowledge." This typically isn't a problem with a basic workflow configuration, but for more complex workflows it can get pretty confusing to have multiple steps named "Acknowledge."
The Step Label allows you to customize the name of this particular step so it more accurately represents this part of the process. This will help you keep your workflow organized as you are building out your process, but it can also help provide clarity for reviewers who need to approve multiple times during the process.
The Step Label appears in the Acknowledge Notification that is emailed to the reviewer to help them identify where they are in the workflow process.
The Step Label is "Dept. Chair Acknowledge" in this example.
How do I choose who should acknowledge the form?
Once you have created an Acknowledge step, the Acknowledge panel will open on the right-hand side of the screen. From there, you can choose from a list of individuals who should acknowledge the form. Each option is discussed below.
Person(s) in a role of a group, or the group's hierarchy, on the form
This will allow you to choose a person in a specific role from any group that was mentioned on your form.
Once this option is selected an additional field will load below that will ask you to specify the field on the form that lists the group.
You will then be prompted to select the role from that particular group that should acknowledge the form. In this case role could refer to 1 person (e.g. Department Chair), or it could refer to a previously created role (or small group) that includes multiple people (e.g. Curriculum Committee).
Person(s) in a role of any specific group
This will allow you to choose a person in a specific role from any of the groups that were pre-populated in Kuali Build during your implementation.
Once this option is selected an additional field will load below that will ask you to specify the role and the group.
In this case role could refer to 1 person (e.g. Department Chair), or it could refer to a previously created role (or small group) that includes multiple people (e.g. Curriculum Committee).
A person specified on the form
This will allow you to choose a person listed in a field on the form.
Once this option is selected an additional field will load below that will ask you to specify the field on the form where that person is listed. Additionally, you can select the submitter of the form by choosing "Submitter (meta.submittedBy)" from the drop down.
Any specific person
This will allow you to choose any person from any of the groups that were pre-populated in Kuali Build during your implementation.
Once this option is selected you will be asked to specify the user.
How do I compose the Acknowledgement email and subject line?
The Customize Email Notification setting enables you to include a custom message in the notification that is sent to the assigned reviewers.
- The Email Subject field allows you to customize the subject line of the acknowledge notification email that will be sent to the approvers.
- The Add Variable button allows you to populate and personalize the subject line with information from the form. In this example the subject line alerts the reviewer that their acknowledgement is requested on the travel request of a specific individual. “Submitter - Display Name” in the subject line will be replaced with the form submitter’s name in the acknowledgement notification email.
How do I acknowledge a form?
You can acknowledge an action taken on a form by going to the submission using the link from the email you received or by going to your Action List. Once you are in the form, click on the Acknowledge button on the right side of the page.