Covid-19 Continuity Planning Form: Getting Started Guide
Welcome to Kuali’s Covid-19 Continuity Planning Form: Getting Started Guide. Use this guide to help you understand some of the core elements of setting up the continuity form to work for your institution. We will be happy to guide you through each of these steps but in the case you need additional information and a guide to refer back to at a later date, use the instructions below to walk you through the core elements of the system.
Note: If you're interested in learning more about the Covid-19 Continuity Planning Form App we are providing free of charge in support of the Covid-19 response, please let us know here.
Outline of Key Setup Steps
- Add Key Users
- Update critical information on the app
- Update Help Email in the Form
- Update Continuity Form App URL in the Administrator Notification Step
- Update Help Email in the Submitter Notification Step
- Use the App!
Key Steps Walk Through
Step 1: Add Key Users
The first step in the Continuity Process is to add users to your Kuali Build instance. Plan to add users you intend to send the Continuity Form to as they will need to login to Kuali Build in order to complete the form in a secure fashion and receive email notifications following submission.
Adding users is a very easy process in Kuali Build and should take you very little time. Prior to adding, be sure you have the following information about each of the individuals you want to add into the system:
- Name (First and Last)
- Email Address
To add a user in Kuali Build, review this help article for an in-depth walk through. A few helpful pieces of advice to consider:
- A Display Name is what will show when the user logs in (such as “John Smith”) versus a Username which is what a user can use to login with (such as john.smith)
- Most Kuali Build configurations utilize SSO (Single Sign-On) capabilities but due to the time sensitive nature of the pandemic, we are recommending you add users manually. With this in mind, administrators will need to set passwords manually for all users. The password needs to be at least 8 characters long.
- Users can login with either their email address or username but email addresses must be unique when adding them to the system.
- Add all users as the role “User” Permissions for submissions of continuity forms can be managed at the form level itself.
Step 2: Update critical information on the app
To get up and running using your Continuity application, you’ll need to update a few key pieces of information on the app template to make it relevant to your institution. This section is intended to walk you through changing these pieces of information.
Note: This section has been written prior to Step 5: Learn about the structure of the app. We understand you need to act quickly so want to enable you to do so. If you want to learn more about how the form is structured before updating pieces, feel free to jump ahead to our bonus help article on learning more about the app and then return here.
There are three key pieces to update information:
On the Form:
- General Information: Administrator Email Address
In the Workflow:
- Continuity Administrator Notification: Who the email is sent to
- Submitter Notification: Administrator Email Address
Let’s start by updating the form (General Information: Administrator Email Address).
To start, login to your Kuali Build using the URL, Username and Password provided to you. When you login, you’ll be taken to your “My Apps” screen.
Click on the “Higher Education Continuity Plan” App.
You’ll be taken to the Documents View where you will see incoming Form submissions. From this view, click on “Form” in the top right corner.
At the top of the form, you’ll see a section that says “General Information.” This section includes information to provide individuals who submit the form context behind the process.
In this section, you’ll see a yellow-highlighted text that says:
- “If you need assistance with this form, please review our helpful FAQ guide or email your campus administrator at INSERT EMAIL HERE .”
Please replace the INSERT EMAIL HERE with either your email address or a contact address you would like to send form submitters to.
To save this change, please click on “Publish” (top-right) > Save & Publish (Green Button, Bottom of Form).
Next, let’s update parts of the workflow.
As the first step, let’s update the notification that will be sent to the primary administrator upon an initial form submission
To update the workflow, please click “Workflow”
There are three primary steps to the workflow process:
- The first step notifies the primary administrator (such as yourself) when a new submission comes in.
- The second step sends the individual who submitted the form an email thanking them for their submission and providing them your contact information.
- The third step sends the individual who submitted the form an attached Text (.txt) file with all fields from their submission. They can use this file to document the form they created for future reference.
We’ll need to update one piece of information on the first notification: who the email is being sent to.
To modify this notification, click on the notification, “Continuity Administrator”
Clicking on the notification will bring up a sidebar on the right side of the screen.
First of all, you’ll want to set the notification for who should receive this notification. If a user is currently specified in the app, click “x” next to the user’s name. If a user is not in the notification, proceed to the next step.
Begin typing the name of the individual you want to receive this notification (such as your own name):
Select the name of the correct individual. You have now set who will receive the notification.
Next, let’s add a contact email address to the email sent to the form submitter so they can reach out if they have any additional questions.
To do this, click on the next notification, “Submitter Email Notification.”
In the left-hand bar, you’ll see bold / orange text reading, “INSERT ADMINISTRATOR EMAIL HERE.”
Click into the email body. Highlight the text and replace it with an appropriate email address you would like form submitters to reach out to (such as your own).
You’ve now updated all the critical information pieces so you can prep for getting read to send to your team members!
Step 3: Use the app!
The final step for using your Continuity App will be to send the form to members of your institution you would like to complete the form.
As a reminder, each individual who will be completing the form needs to have a username and password in Kuali Build in order to complete the app. If you haven’t yet added individuals, you can refer back to Step 1 in order to add all necessary individuals. We recommend sending individuals their username and password prior to (or in coordination with) sending them the URL to the form.
In order to have someone complete their form, you can simply send them the URL for the form.
To get the URL, click on Publish and view the top box labelled, “Share link to form.” You can copy the URL by simply clicking “Copy” in the top box.
Feel free to send the URL to individuals in whichever way you prefer, such as via email.
When submitting the form, the individual will be prompted first to login with their username and password:
Team members will be taken to complete the app. If individuals cannot complete the app in one sitting, they can save their work and resume it at a later time:
Once team members submit, they will receive two emails: one thanking them for their submission and one with their submission attachment. The administrator who was setup in Step 2 will receive an additional email notifying them of their submission.