What settings are available in the Gadget Configuration Panel?
Once a gadget has been added to your form, the Configuration Panel opens automatically. Although all form builder gadgets perform different functions and have unique settings, many of their initial gadget settings are the same. This guide will review some of the most common settings.
- Gadget Label/Question: The name of the field that will appear on the form. It also refers to the label the system references for the field in all reporting, workflows, and integrations unless a Custom Column Name has been identified (see below). The Field Preview box in the center panel will show you how the Gadget Label/Question looks. You can even type an answer in the Field Preview to see how an answer renders in this field.
- Required: Enabling this setting will require the form submitter to respond to this field before they can submit the form.
- Description/help text: Adds additional text to the gadget that can be used as help text or additional explanation for the form submitter. It can be shown inline or behind a help icon that looks like a small question mark.
- Show placeholder text: Allows you to show temporary instructional text inside the gadget that will be replaced when the form submitter interacts with the gadget. The information you include here will prompt the user to take the action you specify--for example, "start typing." It can also provide users with example text they can view when they go to complete a field entry. In this screenshot the user is instructed to start typing their New Department name.
- Limit visibility based on other gadgets: Allows you to show and hide one part (a field or section) of a form based on selections made in another part of the form. See How Do I Conditionally Show and Hide Parts of the Form Based on Responses in Other Gadgets?.
- Require min/max characters, numbers, etc.: This setting is not available on all gadgets, but it does appear on several. It allows you to set a minimum and maximum value on the information a submitter includes on this field. For example, you could limit the number of characters in a text field, or you could set a minimum and/or maximum number for a number field.
- Regular expression: An advanced option that makes it possible to enforce custom formatting in this gadget. For example, if you wanted to capture a phone number that looked like this: "(555) 555-5555," you could use regular expressions to require the addition of the parenthesis and dash. See How Do I Use the Text Gadgets (Fields)? for more information about regular expressions.
- Custom column name: Lets you change what text appears in the column header for this gadget in the Document List.
- Edit unique JSON key: An advanced option that lets you view and edit the system ID for this gadget. Changing this can have serious consequences for your app and should be changed only with careful consideration.
- Remove Gadget: Will delete the gadget from your form.
- Duplicate: allows you to make a copy of the gadget and all of its settings. Once copied the duplicated gadget will appear below the original gadget. For gadgets in a table, the new gadget will appear to the right of the original.
- Note: Tables and sections cannot be duplicated.